Avalanche Skills Training 1
Your gateway to the backcountry. Get off the chairlift and get out there!
A nationally-recognized course that's essential for adventuring beyond the resort boundary.
Running over 3 days, you will start with an evening classroom session in Nelson to meet your group and recap what you covered in the pre-learning materials, followed by two action-packed field days at Whitewater Ski Resort exploring decision making, avalanche dynamics, and self-rescue skills while moving through backcountry avalanche terrain.
Learn hot tips and tricks from Whitewater’s own Snow Safety personnel on how to make the most of your backcountry adventures. Small instructor to student ratios allow for a supportive learning environment with one-on-one feedback that provide a great setting to meet your future touring buddies.
Success in the backcountry begins here, with an AST 1.
What you'll gain
- Avalanche formation and release;
- How to identify avalanche terrain;
- The basics of trip planning;
- How to use the avalanche forecast to mitigate your avalanche risk;
- Using appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain;
- Intro to companion rescue;
- The Avalanche Handbook and Avaluator;
- A nationally-recognized AST 1 certificate.
|Novice - this course is for everyone! It’s ideal for someone who has never ventured beyond the boundary, and for those who are already getting out there. No matter your experience or ability, we tailor our courses to your needs and knowledge.
|Some - an average level of fitness is required. You should be comfortable being outdoors in cold weather all day, and able to undergo moderate physical activity throughout the day. You won’t be left behind, and snack breaks on the way up the skin track are always encouraged.
|A strong intermediate riding ability is required, with confidence in untracked powder and trees - there are no groomed runs in the backcountry! This is not a skiing course, we’re here to learn. Plus, there's a bonus run back to the resort each day!
|Beginner - we will be travelling on skis with skins, splitboards with skins, or snowshoes carrying our snowboard. It’s ideal to get some practice with your touring gear before joining the course but you do not need to be an expert. Your instructors will give you tips and tricks along the way.
- December 18-20, 2023
- January 2-4, 2024
- January 10-12, 2024
- February 2-4, 2024
- February 12-14, 2024
- February 16-18, 2024
$345 + GST
- This is a 3-day course. The date listed on the booking calendar is the first date of the course (the evening session) from 6:00pm - 8:00pm and takes place in Nelson. The second and third days are two full field days from 8:30am - 4:00pm, meeting at the Hummingbird Lodge at Whitewater Ski Resort;
- AST 1 courses require a minimum of 6 participants to proceed. If a course has fewer than 6 participants, it will not run, and those scheduled to take the course will have the choice of a full refund or to be scheduled at a later date (if available);
- All participants in this course must complete the AST Student Release as well as the Whitewater Backcountry Access Waiver on the first day of the course.
- To book, call (250) 352-6954 or email ;
- Lift tickets are included in program prices unless otherwise stated;
- Program availability and lesson formats are subject to change;
- Lessons must be paid in full at the time of booking;
- Taxes are not included in the advertised price and all lessons are subject to 5% GST.
Our cancellation policy has changed for the 2023/2024 season
- A $25 administration fee will be applied to all cancellations after the time of booking;
- If a cancellation is made 30 days or more in advance of the program, you will receive a full refund, less a $25 administration fee;
- For cancellations made between 30 and 15 days in advance of the program, 50% of the total program fees will be refunded, less a $25 administration fee;
- Cancellations made within 15 days of the program start are not eligible for a refund;
- Refunds will not be issued for no-shows.